Dressing your way to success is no lie. `
I remember when I first started modelling I was told by one of my European agencies that I would have to go out and purchase myself a $2000 dollar handbag if I was to be taken seriously within the industry, clients would automatically sit up and take notice with a Prada or Louis Vuitton on my arm.
In a business world that is predominately male orientated dressing the part has never been more important. Not only does it A.) Make people take you more seriously but B.) It makes you take yourself more seriously.
Dressing the part is not about how you end up ‘looking” but how it makes you “feel”. Sometimes it can be the smallest thing, say a watch or a set of matching underwear that makes you feel fantastic and confident. If we dress confidently we automatically feel confident.
Here’s some tips for dressing for the office:
- Mix expensive pieces with bargain pieces. Don’t stress about wearing a top to toe designer look.
- When you try something on picture yourself wearing it at work. Does it make you feel confident?
- If in doubt? Wear black! My fav colour. No matter how cheap the item is, it always looks expensive. It’s classic and elegant. Plus if you wear it three days a week no one would really notice.
- Google or flip through magazines to find some inspo before heading to the shops. This way you have a strong, clear idea of what you want.
- Update your wardrobe every season by buying two or three extra pieces. Then mix it up with your old pieces to save money.
Remember “fashion is what you buy… style is how you wear it”
Photos by Justin Polkey