I can literally have this smoothie every day and never get bored of it, especially on a hot day, so Summer please hurry up and show your face.
It’s packed with all the essentials vitamins for glowing skin… so drink on up!
If you not afraid of spirulina, add 1 tbs to your smoothie mixture.
Blend it up, and serve it just like that or topped with some dried coconut and cocoa nibs.
So what exactly does this smoothie have in it that helps with glowing skin? Here’s the low down:
Apart from the obvious potassium benefits, bananas are great for lowering your blood pressure and act as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel. They also produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing nutrients.
Protein is essential for weight loss as it balances the sugar levels and keeps you fuller for longer. It requires more energy to burn off therefore your body is actually burning calories when you consume protein.
Brazil nuts, spirulina and maca powder are full of vitamin-E which is a powerful antioxidant. It is required for maintaining the integrity of cell membrane of mucusa and skin by protecting it from harmful oxygen-free radicals. These ingredients also contain vitamin C and B, helping improve the digestive system and detoxing your system. Maca is know for balancing moods and clearing the skin.
Lastly flaxseeds are filled with omega fats which boost the immune system and are great for skin health.
So blend it up and get busy sipping. Please let me know if you try this recipe and whether you love it as much as me. Tweet me at @emmamenteath or snap a pic on instagram and tag me @emmajanementeath.
So I got this idea at the end of last year to give something up each month for the upcoming year, for example to give up gluten for one month or to give up alcohol for one month, that sort of thing.
So when January came around and the time came for me to give something up giving up dehydration seemed like a good place to start. I’m terrible at remembering to drink enough water during the day, I can go days without drinking any water and not notice so I decided that needed to stop asap.
So in order to give up dehydration that meant I had to drink the recommended daily allowance, which for us ladies isn’t 2 litres but rather 1,6 litres. It was all about finding a balance as too much water can be harmful, it dilutes your minerals and your body struggles to absorb any nutrients.
The benefits of drinking water daily are countless! We all know it’s good for us yet most of us still struggle with it. The improvements I’ve noticed with myself over the past month are:
– Weight loss
– No bloating
– Clear, smooth skin
– My dark circles under my eyes aren’t as dark
– Less tired
– Gives my muscles extra energy when I work out
– My focus and concentration levels have increased
– Less lower back pain
And this is just after a month of drinking 1,6-2 litres of water a day! Oh and by the way, it’s free!
Song of Style posted this flavoured water recipe on her blog a couple of months ago and I thought it would be the perfect inspiration to get you motivated and moving to drink more water if you not currently doing so.
What’s your water story? Do most of you struggle like I used to?
RECIPE FOR 5 DIFFERENT FLAVOURED WATER COMBOS:
Cucumber-Lime, Blueberry-Clementine, Strawberry-Mint and Lemon-Pineapple.
½ of a pineapple
2 Clementine or Tangerine
1 container of Blueberries
1 container of Strawberries
1 bunch of Mint
1 bottle of Sparkling water
Couple trays of Ice (pre-made with filtered water)
Couple pitchers of filtered water
5 Mason jars or any glass cups
2 Empty ice trays
**Just so you know, I’m just demonstrating each recipe for one serving for each flavour You can choose your pick and make a whole pitcher.
Don’t forget to wash your fruits and veggies!
1. We’re going to freeze some blueberries with mint and strawberries with mint. Simply drop 4-6 blueberries in each tray slots and a couple of mint leaves as well. Cut the strawberries into thin slices and add a few in and mints as well. Fill the tray with water and freeze it for about 5 hours.
2. Next cut the lemon, lime, clementine and the cucumber in very thin slices and keep them aside.
3. Here’s how you cut a pineapple. First, place the pineapple on its’ side on the cutting board and remove the stalk right through the skin. Cut the bottom of it too. Stand the pineapple and cut the skin off of the sides from top to bottom in strips following its’ shape, sort of like a crescent. Continue cutting strips all around. Make sure you get rid of the brown blotches. Then from the same position, cut it in half or fours and remove the core. Finally, cut it in small bite sizes.
4. Now, here is the fun part. You will prepare the fruits in the glass before you add the water. Going to start off with the blueberry-clementine so grab a mason jar. If you’re anything like me, you want it not only to taste great but look pretty, right? So here’s how you do it. First, drop a slice of clementine flat on the bottom of the jar. With a wooden spoon, slightly press down and give it a twist a few times to burst the flavours out. Then drop a couple of ice cubes that we made in the jar and one by one, slide in each slices of clementine all around against the wall. The ice will support and keep in place the slices from falling forward or floating around. Add a handful of blueberries and keep it in the fridge for now.
5. Lemon-Pineapple. Same way, you will drop a slice of lemon flat down on the bottom of the jar and release some flavors and again sliding the lemons all around the jar. Add a few pineapples and put aside as well.
6. Next running up is the Cucumber-Lime. Repeat the same steps using the lime. With this one, I added a long thin strip of cucumber right above the lime.
7. Last but never the least, Strawberry Mint. For this one. I simply chopped the strawberries in halves and took a good amount of mint leaves and dropped it in the cup. SOO easy right?
These gluten free, sugar free date balls are the bomb! I’ve recently cut out all forms of processed sugar and for those of you that know me you’ll know that I’m a complete sugar freak. If there’s cake around, I’ll eat it.
So I decided to make these simple, delicious date balls to help curb my sugar cravings. They make the perfect mid day snack to keep me going.
These date balls I made are pretty simple, only 4 ingredients, but one could get a lot more experimental with them. Say adding pistachios and orange zest or cinnamon and apple. Pretty much anything goes with these scrumptious little balls.
You gotta try them, it’ll literally take you 10min to whip up a batch. Who else loves this little guys as much as I do?
1.) Blend the seedless dates until smooth.
2.) Once blended add water, gluten free oats and chai seeds. Mix thoroughly.
3.) Roll mixture into balls and coat with coconut flakes.
4.) Enjoy straight away or refrigerate for later.
How easy was that!
Photos by me 🙂
I have two major food weaknesses, one sugar and two carbs. I love carbs so much so that my family eventually nicknamed me the “Carb-Queen”.
It’s because of my addictions that I am constantly trying out new gluten free recipes, this way I get to satisfy my carb craving without the bloating.
I had some overly ripe banana’s lying around so I decided to try out a new banana muffin recipe. They came out super tasty for a gluten free, sugar free treat.
Sneaky tip, the muffins are great with your morning tea/coffee or take them to work for a guilt-free treat.
1.) Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
2.) In a large bowl mash up the bananas and mix in the honey/rice malt syrup, coconut oil and vanilla essence.
3.) Next add all the other ingredients and mix together well. If the mixture is too dry add a little milk/rice milk.
4.) Spoon the batter into a greased muffin tin or individual cupcake holders.
5.) Add any additional toppings to your muffins. I added banana slice and cacao nibs.
6.) Bake them in the oven between 15-30min. Depending what consistancy you what you muffins to be. Just make sure you check them every 5min with a toothpick so they don’t burn.
7.) Allow them to cool down and enjoy with a cup of tea or milk… guilt free.
Photo’s by yours truly…