We recently did a weekend takeover with Summah – a South African brand that hand selects beautiful, luxe Turkish towels and holiday must-haves – titled “Sun Escape” and consisted of rock pool adventures, picnics with vino verde and Jason’s Bakery croissants and my holiday read – The Sense of an Ending.
Ever since discovering Summah towels they’ve been a consistent holiday/beach essential for myself. Light, breathable, stylish with an array of suitable uses and 100% cotton. Their latest collection is inspired by the Amalfi Coastline in Italy, drawing inspiration from pastel houses and bright coloured beach clubs. (One of the towels is named after my favourite summer cocktail – Aperol Spritz.)
Besides my love affair with Turkish towels my other beachside essentials include the following:
– a quality pair of sunglasses. My eyes are just too sensitive to spend time on the beach without a pair.
– a big sun hat.
– a cute swimsuit/bikini.
– something engaging to read. I just finished The Sense of an Ending (which I LOVED) & have now started on The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry which won the Waterstones book of the year in 2016. Anyone read it? I must say, I’m struggling a bit with it and wondering whether to push on through.
– a beach bag. (My woven beach bag collection has seriously gotten out of hand, I’m clearly addicted.)
– SUNSCREEN! So important with the South Africa sun. I recently fell asleep on the beach with my tanning oil and suffered third degree burns. I’ve peeled through 3 layers of skin and it’s still not healing. Any tips would be appreciated.
– my Caudile grape-seed water facial mist. So refreshing.
– lastly some fresh fruit & water (read champagne/vino)
What’s your must have beach essentials? Also anyone found any new beach hideouts or cool waterfall hikes in the Western Cape of late? Let me know by leaving a comment below.
Summah Amalfi towel (bright pink)
Cotton on straw market shopper
Olive green Billabong bikini
Adam Selman x Le Specs sunglasses
Vintage Bacardi tee
Akina Pansy full piece swimsuit
Lucy Williams x Missoma mini fang necklace
Summah Egg Shell Blue towel
Mango straw sun hat
Earthling & Moon Poppy full piece swimsuit
Summah Sorrento Peach towel (soft pink)
Brandy Melville wrap dress
Saint Laurent Nu Pieds Leather Slides
Miu Miu sunglasses
Bohemia Florence round beach bag
Summah crochet beach bag
Cape Town’s endless Summer heatwave these past few weeks had me stripping down to the bare necessities and many lone walks down by the shore.
Dewy complexions, tanned skin tones and beachy hair… no need to say anything more.
Photos by Justin Polkey
There’s nothing quite like a morning escape to the beach with my book. I must say I haven’t been reading a lot lately due to my approaching exams and I miss my morning walks on the beach with my book. This look post has me reminiscing.
There’s two things I love dearly 1.) hats and 2.) a decent button up. One of my recent purchases from Witchery is this oversize khaki button up which allows me to embrace my inner tomboy with a military kick.
Photos by Justin Polkey